The IC-705 is a QRP transceiver for all shortwave bands, plus 6m, 2m and 70cm. The receiver is continuous from 30 kHz to 199 MHz, plus the 70cm range of 400-470 MHz. All operating modes are supported, including modern digital D-Star operation. The compact device is designed as a direct sampling SDR up to 25 MHz, following Icom’s extensive experience with devices such as the IC-7300 and IC-9700. Above 25 MHz the IC-705 operates as a superhet or double superhet. The colour LC display has the same size as its bigger siblings (4.3″ diagonal), it is a touch display. This makes the operation very easy, while retaining a clear and easy to use user interface. The colored waterfall display helps enormously in band monitoring, so you will never miss any activity. The loudspeaker on the front ensures good intelligibility.
As power supply either a rechargeable battery or an external 13.8V power supply is used. The included LiIon battery BP-272 has a voltage of 7.4V and a capacity of 2000 mAh. This provides an output power of 5W, with external supply up to 10W output power is adjustable. Of course the power can be reduced to 500 mW for QRP friends. With the battery several hours of fun are guaranteed during a hike or portable activity.
But also the other features of the IC-705 leaves hardly anything to be desired. Besides the classic modes like SSB, CW, AM and FM, the transceiver also offers RTTY, WFM and D-Star digital operation. This allows worldwide connections to be established via suitable repeaters. D-Star operation includes exact position information, therefore a GPS antenna is built into the IC-705. The GPS position can be recorded during the hike, so the device also serves as a position logger. The recording is done on an optional Micro-SD card, a slot for this is available on the side of the device. The SD card can also be used to record received QSO data and the configuration of the device. To allow a comfortable operation with headsets or a hands-free kit the IC-705 is equipped with modern Bluetooth. The remote control and configuration via computer is done either via the USB interface or wirelessly via Wifi.
The IC-705 offers fun – on the road, on all bands, in all operating modes. Now there’s no reason to miss out on the radio hobby when out on the road!
Technical details IC-705:
- Transmission power 0.5-5W with battery, 0.5-10W with ext. 13.8 V supply
- Bands: HF + 50 MHz + 144 MHz + 432 MHz
- Operating modes: SSB, AM, FM, WFM, CW, RTTY, D-Star DV
- Receiver continuous: 30 kHz – 199 MHz + 400-470 MHz
- Colour display 4.3″ diagonal
- Size approx. 200 x 80 x 85 mm
- Weight approx. 1 kg without battery
- Bluetooth built-in (CAT control, audio)
- Wifi built-in (remote control)
- GPS built-in, distance logger, D-Star functions
- Micro-SD card for firmware updates, saving the configuration etc.
- Front side loudspeaker
Connectors of the IC-705:
- BNC antenna socket
- Loudspeaker 3.5mm phone stereo TRS
- Microphone 2.5mm phone TRRS
- Output stage (Send + ALC)
- Tuner socket
- Morse key
- Micro-USB socket
- DC socket 13.8V
- Micro-SD Card slot
- Ground connection
Included in delivery:
- IC-705 Allmode, Allband Transceiver
- HM-243 Loudspeaker/Hand Microphone
- BP-272 Battery
- DC cable